Sunday, April 4, 2010

STAR IN THE FOREST Release Party!

Best Blogger Tips
Me and lucky Jesus (who won one of my audiobooks in a drawing!) and super-cute Montcerat

Hi everyone!

We just had fun with Lil Dude on his third-ever Easter morning. He's been talking about the Easter Bunny for weeks, and now that the big day has arrived, he's ecstatic about all his chocolate and his wind-up alien and turquoise parasol (he's been asking for a parasol lately) and egg hunts...

So, on Friday night, we celebrated the release of Star in the Forest! Had a great time-- the room was full of amazing people-- kids, teens, librarians, teachers, friends, writers, book clubbies...

Here I am with Gloria (dancer and singer!) and her sweet, smart niece Karla


Gloria does the coolest things with her hair...


Gloria looked gorgeous dancing-- we were all mesmerized...


She sang "Hay Unos Ojos"-- a traditional Mexican song-- and was captivating. Marty (also a poet, and an overall "cool guy," as described my three-year-old) did great accompanying her on guitar. Gloria's singing reminds me lots of Lila Downs (who is one of our favorite singers)...


Me with my wonderful writer friend Teresa Funke, along with the lovely Ava, Kami, Lydia, and Gracie...


Take your pick: a blurry me...


or, if you prefer, a me with closed eyes...


Autographing a book for Martha (in black-- fabulous bilingual school librarian who helped with Star) and Lana (in blue-- also bilingual-- high school educator and book club leader)... and the book-savvy Old Firehouse women busy selling books next to me... it's bliss to be in the company of so many book lovers!


Karla and Jesus watching Gloria dance... did I mention Jesus is a writer, too?!


My Lil Dude had been practicing singing happy birthday to Star in the Forest (and I must say he sounded exquisite)... alas, once in front of the mike, he clammed up. BUT, he did play the piano onstage a bit and he performed the esteemed duty of drawing winners' names from a bag with a great deal of flair...


Hope you have a wonderful week full of sunshine! Thanks for reading!

much love,
Laura